Race, Revolution, and the Struggle for Human Rights in Zanzibar: The Memoirs of Ali Sultan Issa and Seif Sharif Hamad by G. Thomas Burgess (Hardback, 2009)
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionZanzibar has had the most turbulent postcolonial history of any part of the United Republic of Tanzania, yet few sources have emerged that explain the reasons why. The current political impasse in the islands is a contest primarily over the question of whether to accept and sustain the Zanzibari Revolution of 1964. Defenders of the revolution speak the language of African nationalism and aspire to unify the majority of Zanzibar through the politics of race. Their opponents claim, instead, that the revolution undermined the islands\u2019 cosmopolitan cultural heritage and espouse the language of human rights. Ali Sultan Issa was an early Zanzibari nationalist. As a minister in the first revolutionary government he became one of Zanzibar\u2019s most controversial figures, responsible for some of the government\u2019s most radical policies. Later imprisoned, he has reemerged as one of Zanzibar\u2019s most successful property developers. Seif Shariff Hamad came of age during the revolution, becoming disenchanted with its broken promises and excesses. Having served in Tanzania\u2019s ruling party, he is w a leading figure in Zanzibar\u2019s opposition. Together these two memoirs trace Zanzibar\u2019s postindependence trajectory and reveal how Zanzibaris continue to dispute their revolutionary heritage and remain divided over issues of ethnic identity. These memoirs, edited with an introduction by G. Thomas Burgess, will provide scholars and teachers with highly readable first-person narratives in which two African postindependence leaders describe their public and personal achievements, conflicts, failures, and tragedies. They will give students and scholars unique access to life, culture, and politics of Zanzibar.
- Author BiographyG. Thomas Burgess is an assistant professor at the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis.
- Author(s)G. Thomas Burgess
- PublisherOhio University Press
- Date of Publication15/05/2009
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationOhio
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOhio University Press
- Content Noteillus.
- Weight499 g
- Width3564 mm
- Height5499 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.53Trending at AU $27.94
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.35Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.