All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Part I Voegelin analyzes contemporary race theories by placing the question of race in the context of the more comprehensive philosophical problem of the interrelationships of body, mind, and soul. He demonstrates the intellectual shortcomings and theoretical fallacies of current theories; more important, he contributes to the development of a modern philosophical anthropology that aims, as Helmuth Plessner put it in a review of Race and State, at a concept of the human being that does justice to its multilayered existence as a physical, vital, psychic, and intellectual being, without making one of these layers the measure and explanatory basis for the others. In Part II Voegelin deals with race ideas, which he distinguishes from race theories. Race ideas, like other political ideas, form a part of political reality itself, contributing to the formation of social groups and societies. Voegelin shows that the modern race idea is just one body idea among others, such as the tribal state and the Kingdom of Christ, each offering a different symbolic image of community. He traces the rise of the modern race idea, analyzes its function to structure community, and offers an answer to the question of why race ideas became successful in Germany.
- Author BiographyAbout the AuthorEric Voegelin (1901-1985) was one of the most original and influential philosophers of our time. Born in Cologne, Germany, he studied at the University of Vienna, where he became a professor of political science in the Faculty of Law. In 1938, he and his wife, fleeing Hitler, emigrated to the United States. They became American citizens in 1944. Voegelin spent much of his career at Louisiana State University, the University of Munich, and the Hoover Institution at Stanford University. During his lifetime he published many books and more than one hundred articles. The Collected Works of Eric Voegelin will make available in a uniform edition all of Voegelin's major writings. About the EditorKlaus Vondung is professor of German literature at the University of Siegen.
- Author(s)Eric Voegelin
- PublisherUniversity of Missouri Press
- Date of Publication30/11/1997
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleCollected Works of Eric Voegelin
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 2
- Place of PublicationMissouri
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Missouri Press
- Weight572 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Translated byRuth Hein
- Volume editorKlaus Vondung
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.