All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionM.J. Maher writes for all those interested in the dynamics of racism, from professionals in counselling, group analysis and psychotherapy working in multiracial and multicultural societies to those exposed to racism who need help in dealing with the impact of their experiences. She also addresses the concept of victims becoming perpetrators if support is t given to contain the process.Herself a group analyst, the author experienced at first hand racial discrimination within the system, but rather than succumb has instead produced an enduring and proficient work that draws heavily on personal experience. Combining years of counselling skill with a natural compassion, she makes the subject of racism approachable, thus motivating all those wanting to explore the issues. For people whose experience of broken attachments crosses racial lines, this book is possibly the first to use Bowlby's Attachment Theory as a framework for understanding racism.
- Author BiographyM. J. Maher was born in Zimbabwe. She obtained her teacher training from Mutare Teachers' College and taught at Chitsere Government School in Mbare, Harare. As a teacher, she also worked for the Ministry of Education as a manuscript evaluator for the Curriculum Development Unit and also as a school radio lessons script writer for Audio Visual Service. She left teaching to be an editor for Zimbabwe Publishing House. In 1988 MJ came to the United Kingdom to train as a psychiatric nurse, subsequently training as a group analyst. She worked for National Health Service (NHS) for twenty-three years as a psychiatric nurse and a group psychotherapist facilitating therapy groups and staff groups. MJ has extensive experience of working in therapeutic communities for residents with a diagnosis of Personality Disorder and of Drug and Alcohol Addiction. Currently she offers individual, couple and group psychotherapy in her private practice and also facilitates carers' groups and experiential groups for trainee counsellors.
- Author(s)M. J. Maher
- PublisherKarnac Books
- Date of Publication13/10/2011
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintKarnac Books
- Content Noteblack & white line drawings
- Weight726 g
- Width147 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.77New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.64
- AU $60.90Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $24.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.