All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book takes a fresh look at English fiction produced in the 1950s. By looking at a range of authors, some canical, some less well kwn, it shows that the vel of the period was far more diverse and formally experimental than previous accounts have suggested. Drawing on a wide range of contemporary literary and cultural theories, the author examines the way in which issues and anxieties in 1950s society were articulated and addressed in fiction. These issues include the reformulation of Englishness in a rapidly decolonizing world; anxieties about immigration, racism, class and classlessness; new configurations of gender; and the fear of the Americanization of working-class culture, especially in the way it appeared to be influencing English youth. The first part of the book identifies some of these anxieties, and the response to them in n-fiction and writing by the emerging New Left. The second part contains a theoretically informed reading of important Fifties vels by Kingsley Amis, John Wain, Muriel Spark, Alan Sillitoe, Colin MacInnes and Sam Selvon.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Nick Bentley read English and History and took an M.A. in twentieth-century British fiction at Keele University where he now lectures in English Literature and Cultural Theory. He gained his doctorate on 1950s British fiction in 2001. He has held previous posts at Birmingham University, the Open University and Staffordshire University. His main research interests are in critical theory and twentieth-century literature, especially in the interconnections between postmodernism, postcolonialism and post-World War II British fiction.
- Author(s)Nick Bentley
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/08/2007
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2007
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Weight490 g
- Width220 mm
- Height150 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.