All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionExamines the role of the church in the moral development of radio. Radio, Morality, and Culture: Britain, Canada, and the United States, 1919-1945 examines the moral controversies surrounding radio's development during its formative years. In comparing the fledgling medium in Great Britain, Canada, and the United States, Robert S Fortner documents how the church failed to participate in radio's moral development and instead engaged in internecine warfare over issues of legitimacy and orthodoxy. The church was arguing about theological turf and dealing with internal disputes while radio policy was being developed and communications history was being written. Fortner reveals how the church, doomed to play little more than a bit part in the future of radio, eventually lost its voice altogether in the continuing development of electronic media. Fortner effectively synthesizes cultural history and theory, communication studies, and the role religious organizations played in shaping the content and character of early radio. Geared to scholars of history, communications, and theology, Radio, Morality, and Culture provides a useful resource for research, scholarship, and public policy.
- Author BiographyRobert S. Fortner, a professor of communication arts and sciences at Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Michigan, is the author of several books, including International Communication and Public Diplomacy and International Politics. He has served as a panelist for the National Academy of Sciences, led media workshops in more than twenty countries, and conducted research for the British Broadcasting Corporation, the Voice of America, and the Center for Strategic and International Studies.
- Author(s)Robert S. Fortner
- PublisherSouthern Illinois University Press
- Date of Publication01/10/2005
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Place of PublicationCarbondale
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSouthern Illinois University Press
- Content Note2 illustrations
- Weight517 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.