All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAre you relaxed and comfortable? Then you're ready to embark on a fascinating train tour around the continent of Europe. You determine the pace and the destination. The author brings life to the adventure through a wealth of stories and humorous anecdotes. This he derived from his 30 years of experience of European travel. Rod will take you on a tour of the various cities and countries, linked by the rail network, demonstrating the culture, the way of life, and the principal attractions of each location. Let him handle the language issues, the currency exchange, the food and the tickets; sit back in your seat and become part of Europe. This is an experience that can't be found in a guidebook. It's food for your imagination. Your mind will create images better than any photograph. To stop the train, just close the book. Open it again and choose your destination. The vivid descriptions of the operation and logistics of the railway will add to your experience. From clearing a moose off the line in Lappland,to negotiating for a sleeper in Sofia, it's gems like these which enrich the journey.
- Author BiographyRodney Jory spent his working career as a physicist in Australia. His first contact with trains was when he was constrained to ride to high school each day behind a black and sooty steam loco. It was not the physics, engineering or efficiency of the engine, but the efficiency of the operation, which exercised his mind. After completing his graduate degree in Canberra he took a post at Florida State University where there are no trains but an appreciation of the way other parts of the universe work. His next post was in Liverpool, UK, where there are loads of trains of all shapes and sizes, before returning to his longstanding appointment in Canberra. As part of his duties in his later working years he accompanied groups of students to conferences in various locations around the world, often in Europe. He was also for 11 years the leader of the Australian team to the International Physics Olympiad, which took him annually to locations as diverse as Havana and Beijing. By now he had travel, and in particular European train systems, in his blood.
- Author(s)Rodney Jory
- PublisherMelrose Books
- Date of Publication29/01/2012
- SubjectTrains & Railways: General Interest
- Place of PublicationEly
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMelrose Books
- Weight462 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.