All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThroughout a single day in 1892, John Shawnessy recalls the great moments of his life--from the love affairs of his youth in Indiana, to the battles of the Civil War, to the politics of the Gilded Age, to his homecoming as schoolteacher, husband, and father. Shawnessy is the epitome of the place and period in which he lives, a rural land of springlike women, shady gamblers, wandering vagabonds, and soapbox orators. Yet here on the banks of the Shawmucky River, which weaves its primitive course through Raintree County, Indiana, he also feels and obeys ancient rhythms. A number-one bestseller when it was first published in 1948, this powerful vel is a compelling vision of 19th-century America with timeless resonance today.
- Author BiographyRoss Lockridge, Jr., was born in 1914 in Bloomington, Indiana. Lockridge committed suicide at the age of 33 in his hometown, two months after his only novel was published to great critical and popular acclaim. Herman Wouk is the bestselling author of The Caine Mutiny, Don't Stop the Carnival, War and Rememberance, and The Winds of War.
- Author(s)Ross Lockridge
- PublisherChicago Review Press
- Date of Publication01/09/2007
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Place of PublicationChicago
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintChicago Review Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight948 g
- Width139 mm
- Height209 mm
- Spine45 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $26.95Trending at AU $31.92
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.62
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.80
- AU $14.99Trending at AU $19.01
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $59.41
- AU $21.78Trending at AU $24.79
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $20.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.