Raising Boys' Achievement in Secondary Schools: Issues, Dilemmas and Opportunities by Molly Warrington, Ros McLellan, Mike Younger (Paperback, 2005)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $38.87Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $15.02+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Boys' achievement has attracted great attention in recent years in many countries. This comprehensive book based on sound research in schools provides practical insights into how the achievement of boys and girls can be raised. It reminds us that it is t all boys or girls who underachieve. It demonstrates the respective roles of teaching and learning, school culture and social factors. No easy answers but excellent ideas backed by evidence from authoritative, thorough researchers with a firm basis in schools' - Judy Sebba, Professor of Education, University of Sussex.'Teachers will find this book invaluable. It is based on quality research which actually evaluates the impact of the various strategies suggested for raising boys' achievement. What is more, in contrast to many of the more 'quick-fix' works in this field, the authors' discussion and analysis is measured and nuanced, and supported by an in-depth understanding of the wealth of theory and research around gender and achievement. It provides a welcome and weighty contribution to an ever controversial debate' - Becky Francis, London Metropolitan University.In this important book, the authors evaluate different approaches and advocate practical, evidence-based strategies, which have the potential to promote boys' as well as girls' achievements. The approaches are discussed within the context of inclusivity, ackwledging the diverse needs and interests of different boys and the invisibility and continuing disadvantage of some girls. The book begins and ends with reflections from students of their own school experiences, and makes practical recommendations for the future.This book draws upon empirical research and work initiated as part of the DfES project on Raising Boys' Achievement. It brings together theoretical and practical issues, and reflects upon the construction of the debate about boys' apparent under-achievement from the perspectives of girls as well as boys. The authors critically explore tions of under-achievement and 'value added', and consider how useful the concept of the 'gender gap' is in advancing the debates. Raising Boys' Achievement in Secondary Schools is key reading for undergraduate and postgraduate Education students, PGCE students, headteachers, senior managers within schools and local education authorities, and policy makers.
- Author BiographyMike Younger is Director of Teaching in the University of Cambridge Faculty of Education. Molly Warrington is Senior Lecturer in the Department of Geography at the University of Cambridge, and Director of Studies for Geography at Homerton College and Kings' College. Mike and Molly are Fellows of Homerton College, and co-Directors of the Raising Boys' Achievement Project. Ros McLellan is Research Associate in the Raising Boys' Achievement Project
- Author(s)Mike Younger,Molly Warrington,Ros McLellan
- PublisherOpen University Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2005
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationMilton Keynes
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOpen University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white tables, figures
- Weight1 g
- Width60 mm
- Height91 mm
- Spine5 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.