All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionParents who come from different language backgrounds often hope that their children will be able to speak the languages of both their parents. In families where this is the goal, the one parent-one language approach (Ronjat, 1913) is widely used. The one parent-one language approach is relatively effective in promoting active bilingualism among young children in a society where there is little support for the mirity language. However, there is a general perception that maintenance of the mirity language into middle childhood and beyond is difficult as during this period children s contacts with the outside world expand and the input in the majority language increases. This book examines the sociolinguistic environment and the nature of parental input for children from Japanese-Australian families, who have been exposed to Japanese and English through the one parent-one language approach in Australia. The research on which the book is based identifies factors which account for successful and unsuccessful cases of Japanese language maintenance of children from those families. The major part of this study involves discourse analysis of the conversations between four Japanese mothers and their primary school aged children based on audio-recordings over a period of 21 months. This qualitative approach is complemented by a quantitative study interviewing 25 Japanese mothers about their children s language experience.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Masae Takeuchi is a lecturer in Japanese at the School of Communication, Culture and Languages at Victoria University, Australia. She moved to Australia after graduating from Tokyo Women s University. She obtained her Ph.D from Monash University in 2005. Her research interests include bilingualism and parent-child interactions in language acquisition.
- Author(s)Masae Takeuchi
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication01/02/2006
- Series TitleEuropaische Hochschulschriften/European University Studies/Publications Universitaires Europeennes Reihe 21: Linguistik/Series 21: Linguistics/Serie 21: Linguistique
- Series Part/Volume Number299
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight610 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $22.63Trending at AU $23.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.