Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
About this product
- DescriptionRajasthan, the largest state in India, started its quest for development with several handicaps and a few advantages. Nearly two-third of its area is arid or semi-arid, with low and irregular rainfall characterised with extremes of climate. For a predominantly agrarian ecomy these conditions prove a major handicap in ensuring sustainable growth.If geography of the state is proving a stumbling block, its history - especially, recent history - makes the task of sustainable growth all the more daunting. The feudal tendencies had a deep sway over social organisation, which was characterised by hierarchical outlook, paternalistic institutions, low status of women and sharp social and ecomic discrimination against certain sections of population.The state has some favourable 'initial conditions' as well. Its hardy stock of peasantry is capable of facing adversities. Its agriculture is diversified, with animal husbandry occupying an important place. It has vast mineral resources and enviable tourist potential. Its feudal past has also contributed to the inculcation of values of bravery, fortitude and charity among the people. Above all, it encouraged spirit of adventure and entrepreneurship.Transforming such a state to a modern, egalitarian and democratic state, and to place it on a path of sustainable development is t easy. The essays in this volume address this task in all its complexities.
- Author BiographyVijay S. Vyas is Professor Emeritus at the Institute of Development Studies, Jaipur. He has a Ph.D in Economics from University of Bombay. His current research interests are public policies for agricultural growth and rural development. Sarthi Acharya was educated at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur and Central School of Planning and Statistics, Warsaw. He is a former Director of the Institute of Development Studies, Jaipur.
- PublisherAcademic Foundation
- Date of Publication01/01/2008
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationGhaziabad
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintAcademic Foundation
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight567 g
- Width146 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Edited bySarthi Acharya,Surjit Singh,Vidya J. Sagar,Vijay S. Vyas
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.