Randall Jarrell's Book of Stories: An Anthology by The New York Review of Books, Inc(Paperback / softback)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $24.98Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $27.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionStorytelling as a fundamental human impulse, one that anunces itself at the moment, hidden in infancy, that dreams begin this is what the poet and critic Randall Jarrell set out to illuminate in this extraordinary book. Here Jarrell presents ballads, parables, anecdotes, and legends along with some of the finest work of Chekhov, Babel, Elizabeth Bowen, Isak Dinesen, Kafka, Peter Taylor, and Katherine Anne Porter. This wonderful anthology, with its celebrated introductory essay, enlarges and deepens our perception of the storyteller's art and its central place in the world of our feelings. ContentsRANDALL JARRELL: IntroductionFRANZ KAFKA: A Country DoctorANTON CHEKHOV: GusevRAINER MARIA RILKE: The Wrecked Houses; The Big ThingROBERT FROST: The Witch of CoosGIOVANNI VERGA: La LupaNIKOLAI GOGOL: The NoseELIZABETH BOWEN: Her Table SpreadLUDWIG TIECK: Fair EckbertBERTOLT BRECHT: Concerning the Infanticide, Marie FarrarLEO TOLSTOY: The Three HermitsPETER TAYLOR: What You Hear from 'Em?HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN: The Fir TreeKATHERINE ANNE PORTER: HeANONYMOUS: The Red King and the WitchANTON CHEKHOV: Rothschild's FiddleTHE BROTHERS GRIMM: Cat and Mouse in PartnershipE. M. FORSTER: The Story of the SirenTHE BOOK OF JONAHFRANZ KAFKA: The Bucket-RiderSAINT-SIMON: The Death of MonseigneurISAAC BABEL: AwakeningCHUANG T'ZU: Five AnecdotesHUGO VON HOFMANNSTHAL: A Tale of the CavalryWILLIAM BLAKE: The Mental TravellerD. H. LAWRENCE: Samson and DelilahLEO TOLSTOY: The Porcelain DollIVAN TURGENEV: Byezhin PrairieWILLIAM WORDSWORTH: The Ruined CottageFRANK O'CONNOR: PeasantsISAK DINESEN: Sorrow-Acre
- Author BiographyRandall Jarrell (1914-1965) was born in Tennessee and graduated from Vanderbilt. A poet, novelist, translator, and critic as well as writer for children, Jarrell was a prolific author whose best-known works include the poems collected inThe Woman at the Washington ZooandThe Lost World, the academic comedyPictures from an Institution, the children s storyThe Bat Poet, andPoetry and the Age, a group of essays. An influential critic who, as poetry reviewer forThe Nation, helped to launch the careers of Robert Lowell and other contemporaries, Jarrell taught for many years at the University of North Carolina, where he was much revered. He died in a car accident in 1965.
- PublisherThe New York Review of Books, Inc
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Series TitleNew York Review Books Classics
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe New York Review of Books, Inc
- Weight395 g
- Width127 mm
- Height202 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byRandall Jarrell
- Introduction byRandall Jarrell
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.25
- AU $23.66Trending at AU $30.15
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.18
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $20.58
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $47.56Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.