All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPlay All Night! details Duane Allman's childhood, adolescence, and adulthood (brief though it was), exploring his musical influences, his early bands, his relationship with Gregg Allman (his equally famous brother), his sessions as a sideman in Muscle Shoals and New York, his monumental work on Eric Clapton's Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs , his contributions to slide guitar technique and style, his creation of the Allman Brothers Band and the genre w kwn as Southern Rock, and his continued influence on music over 30 years after his tragic death. The book also examines the ongoing story of the Allman Brothers Band. Recently chosen by Rolling Stone magazine as the second greatest guitarist of all time (Jimi Hendrix being number one on the list), this is the first book ever written about this invative musician, session player extraordinaire, and founder of one of the world's greatest Rock bands. First-hand interviews with Gregg Allman, Chuck Leavell, Muscle Shoals session musicians and studio owners Rick Hall, Jimmy Johnson, David Hood and others fill out this remarkable story.
- Author BiographySince 1985, Randy Poe has been the President of Leiber and Stoller Music Publishing. Among the company's copyrights are such standards as Jailhouse Rock, Kansas City, Spanish Harlem, Yakety Yak, Charlie Brown, Love Potion # 9, and Stand By Me. Prior to his position with Leiber and Stoller, Randy Poe was Executive Director of the Songwriters' Hall of Fame in New York. Poe's writing career officially began in Muscle Shoals in 1979 when his article on studio musician and former Hour Glass member Pete Carr was published in Guitar Player magazine. (The band Hour Glass also featured Duane and Gregg Allman.) In December of 1991, Poe received the ASCAP-Deems Taylor Award for excellence in music journalism for his book, Music Publishing: A Songwriter's Guide. In September of 2002, Randy Poe was a recipient of the music industry's Heroes and Legends Award, along with Motown founder, Berry Gordy.
- Author(s)Randy Poe
- PublisherBackbeat Books
- Date of Publication16/10/2006
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationSan Francisco
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBackbeat Books
- Out-of-print date04/02/2013
- Weight621 g
- Width158 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Foreword byBilly F. Gibbons
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.03Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.