Re-Claiming the Bible for a Non-Religious World by John Shelby Spong (Paperback, 2013)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $13.86+ AU $3.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by rarewaves-outlet
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $33.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor over 200 years, scholars have been debating, analyzing, and exploring one of the most important books ever written - The Bible - and overturning much of what we kw about this sacred library of books. However, a large group of people who actually use this book, mainly lay Christians, aren't aware of this larger, deeper conversation. It is for these people that Spong writes Re-Claiming the Bible for a Non-Religious World, a primer on the history and significance of the Bible. In this thorough, substantive guide, Spong explores the origin and essential meaning of each of the individual books in the Bible, examining the background, the context, the level of authenticity and even the trustworthiness of the messages found there. He explains why these particular books, written between two and three thousand years ago, came to be regarded as authoritative and preserved as sacred; he traces the pathway that biblical religion has traveled as it evolved through the centuries, and he shows how people have misused many of these texts in the service of their prejudices. Reaching far beyond the familiar Sunday-school stories that have provided the content of most people's biblical kwledge, Spong's journey into the heart of the Bible is his attempt to call his readers into their own journeys into the mystery of God. One does t, he asserts, have to twist one's brain into a first-century pretzel in order to take the Bible seriously in this increasingly n-religious world.
- Author BiographyJohn Shelby Spong, the Episcopal Bishop of Newark before his retirement in 2000, has been a visiting lecturer at Harvard and at more than 500 other universities all over the world. His books, which have sold well over a million copies, include Biblical Literalism: A Gentile Heresy; The Fourth Gospel: Tales of a Jewish Mystic; Re-Claiming the Bible for a Non-Religious World; Eternal Life: A New Vision; Jesus for the Non-Religious, The Sins of Scripture, Resurrection: Myth or Reality?; Why Christianity Must Change or Die; and his autobiography, Here I Stand. He writes a weekly column on the web that reaches thousands of people all over the world. To join his online audience, go to www.JohnShelbySpong.com. He lives with his wife, Christine, in New Jersey.
- Author(s)John Shelby Spong
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers Inc
- Date of Publication25/11/2013
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight458 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine27 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.27New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.42
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.36Trending at AU $30.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.