All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTurbulence characterises the current global scene. This book uses complementary theoretical approaches to understand and help prescribe policies to 're-frame' the regional development problem in turbulent times. These approaches are: evolutionary complexity; evolutionary ecomic geography; emergence theory; and resilience theory. From below, they address the four major crises creating a 'perfect storm' for societies and ecomics involving: the climate change crisis; the energy crisis; the banking and financial crisis; and the global ecomic crisis. This book analyses and proposes ways in which regional ecomies, in particular, are having to be 'reframed' to address these crises. First, many must evolve in new ways, possibly moving back from the 'service ecomy' towards a new, greener form of manufacturing of goods as well as services. Accordingly, regional ecomies are invating in new ways. Amongst these are the quest for 'relatedness' within their own regional orbits, and promoting 'modularity' as a mode of analysis and a policy stance to stimulate invation across industry and geographical borders. Finally, regional ecomies and societies are discovering that, from a 'resilience' perspective, they must find answers to the higher levels of governance with which they increasingly struggle. In this respect regional ecomies are in 'transition' and regional processes are 'emergent'. The transition seeks to address the four crises, involving re-balancing, re-directing and re-framing future policy and practice. This book describes many of the vel 'framings' involved in understanding the new ways in which this major task is being addressed in theory, policy and everyday practice.
- Author BiographyPhilip Cooke is Director and Research Professor in Regional Development at the Centre for Advanced Studies, Cardiff University, UK.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication25/04/2014
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note16 black & white tables, 36 black & white line drawings
- Weight544 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byPhilip Cooke
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.15Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.