All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis original collection examines how architectural ideas, social models and building forms circulate round the world and become mediated and adapted to local conditions. The book shows how types such as skyscrapers, mosques or living history museums are imported, adapted and contested in different societies and how urban landscapes are reshaped by the global circulation of models drawn from elsewhere. Written by scholars from different disciplinary backgrounds -architecture, anthropology, geography, linguistics, science studies and sociology - the book draws its inspiration from a series of different approaches and offers both original theoretical reflection and carefully crafted case-studies.
- Author BiographyMichael Guggenheim is Research Fellow in the Department of Anthropology at the University of Zurich. He has done research on environmental experts and is currently completing a research project on the history of the concept of change in the use of buildings and conversion practices. Ola Soderstrom is Professor of Social and Cultural Geography at the University of Neuchatel in Switzerland. He has published widely on social and cultural dimensions of urban change and more specifically on visuality in urban planning, gentrification and urban globalisation.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication25/11/2009
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Series TitleArchitext
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note1 black & white tables, 52 black & white halftones, 1 black & white line drawings
- Weight521 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byMichael Guggenheim,Ola Soderstrom
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.78
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.86
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.89
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.38
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.38
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $91.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.