All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionInternational migration and migrants have long been among the most debated topics in Europe and around the globe. How do immigrant policies differ between different nation-states? How are migrants and refugees met? Conflicting opinions on migration are t new. History gives ample examples of varying solutions and views. In Reaching a State of Hope, the authors shed new light on refugee and labour immigration to twentieth-century Sweden. They focus on themes such as refugee policies, and refugee relief and reception. The discourse on the relation between refugees, labour migration, immigration, and the trade unions is ather focus of this anthology. The essays are set against the background of the Swedish welfare state, from its first emergence before the Second World War until the 1990s. In 1930, Sweden had a population where only a fragment had foreign backgrounds, but seventy years later it had become a country of table immigration. This is the first time historians have taken up the challenge of presenting the Swedish experience to an international audience, with distinguished Swedish and international historians collaborating to put the Swedish case into a European context. This is a significant contribution to the field of European migration history, and will make invaluable reading for scholars of history as well as anyone interested in migration politics and issues related to international migration and welfare states.
- Author BiographyMikael Bystrom is an associate professor of history at Uppsala University in Sweden. He has published extensively on the subject of the debate regarding refugees and migration during World War II. Par Frohnert is an associate professor of history at Stockholm University in Sweden. He has published extensively on the impact of the Holocaust in European culture and the aid to refugees during the 1930s and the Second World War.
- PublisherNordic Academic Press
- Date of Publication01/08/2013
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationLund
- Country of PublicationSweden
- ImprintNordic Academic Press
- Weight703 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byMikael Bystrom,Par Frohnert
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.14
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.09
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $80.22
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.