All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAustralia is at a crossroads- do we need to embrace a nuclear future? In Reaction Time, Ian Lowe examines the science and the politics of nuclear power, as well as the feasible alternatives in an era of global warming. Lowe discusses his one-time belief in nuclear power and what led to the faltering of that belief. He engages with the leading environmentalists, like James Lovelock, who advocate going nuclear, as well as with the less savoury aspects of the Australian politicking. He discusses whether other countries might need to use nuclear power, even if Australia doesn't. He offers an authoritative survey of the leading alternatives for Australia - from 'hot rocks' to 'clean coal'. Above all, he explains why taking the nuclear option would be a decisive step in the wrong direction - ecomically, environmentally, politically and socially.
- Author BiographyProfessor Ian Lowe AO is president of the Australian Conservation Foundation (ACF), emeritus professor of science, technology and society at Griffith University in Brisbane, as well as being an adjunct professor at Sunshine Coast University and Flinders University. His previous books include A Big Fix, Living in the Hothouseand A Voice of Reason. Professor Lowe has been a referee for the Inter-Governmental Panel on Climate Change, the International Geosphere-Biosphere Program and the Millennium Assessment. He attended the Geneva, Kyoto and Copenhagen conferences of parties to the Framework Convention on Climate Change. He was a member of the Australian delegation to the 1999 UNESCO World Conference on Science and has served on many advisory bodies to all levels of government.
- Author(s)Ian Lowe
- PublisherBlack Inc.
- Date of Publication10/09/2007
- SubjectIndustrial Studies: General
- Series TitleQuarterly Essay S.
- Series Part/Volume Number27
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintQuarterly Essay
- Weight226 g
- Width170 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.