All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAnn Ronald found a career and a home when she moved to Re to teach at the University of Nevada. There, she undertook the study of the literature of the West and discovered that the region's vast open spaces satisfied her zest for the outdoors. The essays collected in Reader of the Purple Sage reflect Ronald's wide-ranging interests. Here are highly informative, and deeply informed, critical essays on writers as diverse as Zane Grey, Edward Abbey, Wallace Stegner, and Terry Tempest Williams, as well as the Topah Ladies - a group of literary women who found their voices in the unlikely setting of a mining boomtown - and on such varied topics as the image of Re in nineteenth- and twentieth-century fiction. Included are several recent essays in which Ronald thoughtfully discusses the burgeoning field of environmental writing, some of its principal themes and concerns, and its best-kwn practitioners. Individually, these essays have made a significant contribution to literary scholarship. As an ensemble, they offer a remarkably perceptive, kwing, and sensitive discussion of the Iiterary West, its widely various voices and multifarious concerns, its beauty, ironies, and wisdom.
- Author BiographyFoundation Professor of English at the University of Nevada, Reno, Ann Ronald is a passionate hiker, wilderness advocate, creative writer, and literary critic. She has been writing about the West for more than thirty years and is the author or editor of seven books including Earthtones: A Nevada Album (see page 16), The New West of Edward Abbey, Second Edition, and most recently GhostWest: Reflections Past and Present.
- PublisherUniversity of Nevada Press
- Date of Publication31/05/2003
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationReno
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nevada Press
- Weight395 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $73.88Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.