All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis practical, teacher-friendly book provides indispensable guidance for implementing research-based reading instruction that is responsive to students' diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds. Structured around the big five core topics of an effective reading program-phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension-the book explains tried-and-true teaching strategies for fostering all students' achievement. Key topics include engaging diverse students in classroom discussion, involving families in learning, and assessing and teaching new literacies. Numerous classroom examples demonstrate a wide range of easy-to-implement lesson ideas and activities for students at different grade levels, including struggling learners. Issues specific to English language learners are woven throughout the chapters.
- Author BiographyEllen McIntyre, EdD, is Professor and Department Head of Elementary Education at North Carolina State University. Dr. McIntyre conducts research and has published widely on teacher education, literacy instruction and student achievement, and the sociocultural factors that affect teaching and learning. Prior to her university work, she was a first-, second-, and sixth-grade teacher in an urban elementary school in Kentucky that served students of poverty. Her work has focused on classroom instruction and family involvement for students from populations who have historically struggled in school. Nancy Hulan, MEd, is a PhD candidate in Curriculum and Instruction (Literacy Focus) at the University of Louisville. She has taught diverse populations of students as a Reading Resource teacher, a Title I teacher, and a second-grade teacher in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Las Vegas. Ms. Hulan's research interests include student discussion patterns in the elementary classroom, instruction for linguistically and culturally diverse students, and teachers' decision-making processes concerning literacy instruction. Vicky Layne, MAT, is the Literacy Coach at Engelhard Elementary School in Louisville, Kentucky. Ms. Layne has taught all elementary grade levels and has implemented culturally responsive instruction with diverse populations of students from kindergarten through fifth grade.
- PublisherGuilford Publications
- Date of Publication18/01/2011
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGuilford Publications
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, figures
- Weight724 g
- Width180 mm
- Height257 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byEllen McIntyre,Nancy Hulan,Vicky Layne
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $34.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.