Reading Latin: Text and Vocabulary by Keith C. Sidwell, Peter V. Jones (Paperback, 2016)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $40.00+ postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by eame_au2014
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionReading Latin, first published in 1986, is a bestselling Latin course designed to help mature beginners read classical Latin fluently and intelligently. It does this in three ways: it encourages the reading of continuous texts from the start; it offers generous help with translation at every stage; and it integrates the learning of classical Latin with an appreciation of the influence of the Latin language upon English and European culture from antiquity to the present. The Text and Vocabulary, richly illustrated, consists at the start of carefully graded adaptations from original classical Latin texts. The adaptations are gradually phased out until unadulterated prose and verse can be read. The accompanying Grammar and Exercises volume completes the course, although the present volume could be used as a self-standing beginner's reader if desired. This second edition has been fully revised and updated, with a new chapter containing stories from early Roman history.
- Author BiographyPeter Jones was Senior Lecturer in Classics at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne until his retirement. He has written many books for the student of Latin and Greek, most recently Reading Ovid (Cambridge, 2007), Reading Virgil (Cambridge, 2011) and (with Keith Sidwell) the Reading Latin textbook series. Keith Sidwell is Emeritus Professor of Latin and Greek, University College Cork and Adjunct Professor in the Department of Classics and Religion at the University of Calgary. He has written on Greek drama, later Greek literature and Neo-Latin writing; his books include Lucian: Chattering Courtesans and Other Sardonic Sketches (2004) and Aristophanes the Democrat (Cambridge, 2009). As well as co-authoring the Reading Latin series with Peter Jones, he is the author of Reading Medieval Latin (Cambridge, 1995).
- Author(s)Keith C. Sidwell,Peter V. Jones
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication31/01/2016
- SubjectLanguage Learning (other than ELT)
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note78 b/w illus. 5 maps
- Weight720 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $20.47Trending at AU $21.76
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.75
- AU $30.45Trending at AU $51.44
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.