All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionVisual literacy is the ability to understand images the same way we understand written text. While we are taught from an early age to read and write words, less attention is paid to our capacity to comprehend images - it is often thought that this aptitude will develop naturally . However, the ability to t only look at images, but decode their meaning, is an essential life skill in itself - one which can be used across many disciplines. In the sciences, particularly, ideas and concepts are most powerfully evoked though the use of images. Written scientific reports are often dense and complicated, but images can carry complex information in a single frame. The challenge is to learn how to read these images. Reading Scientific Images: The Icography of Evolution focuses on the theory of evolution to assist teachers (and ultimately learners) in the Life Sciences classroom gain an understanding of visual literacy. Using examples of both scientific and popular imagery, the richly illustrated handbook helps teachers develop a critical understanding of the importance of images - and how to unlock their full meaning. An accessible and informative handbook, it is an essential aid for Life Sciences teachers and complements curriculum teachings on evolution.
- Author BiographyRichard Mason is an artist who currently works as an art director and does research into visual communication and popular science. Tony Morphet is professor emeritus of adult education at the University of Cape Town. Sandra Prosalendis is the former deputy director of arts and culture for the Social Cohesion and Integration research program at the Human Sciences Research Council. She is the author of The Subtle Power of Intangible Heritage.
- Author(s)Richard Mason,Sandra Prosalendis,Tony Morphet
- PublisherHSRC Press
- Date of Publication31/01/2006
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Place of PublicationCape Town
- Country of PublicationSouth Africa
- ImprintHSRC Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight120 g
- Width200 mm
- Height200 mm
- Spine4 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.77New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.64
- AU $60.90Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $24.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.