All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionTao Yuanming (365-427), although dismissed as a poet following his death, is w considered one of China's greatest writers. Over the centuries, portrayals of his life - some focusing on his eccentricity, others on his exemplary virtue - have elevated him to iconic status. This study of the posthumous reputation of a central figure in Chinese literary history, the mechanisms at work in the reception of his works, and the canization of Tao himself and of particular readings of his works sheds light on the transformation of literature and culture in premodern China.It focuses on readers' interpretive negotiations with Tao's works and on changes in hermeneutical practices, critical vocabulary, and cultural demands, as well as the intervention of interested and influential readers, in order to trace the construction of Tao Yuanming. Driven by a dialogue on categories at the very heart of literati culture - reclusion, personality, and poetry - this cumulative process spanning fifteen centuries, the author argues, helps explain the very different pictures of Tao Yuanming and the divergent ways of reading his works across time and illuminates central issues animating premodern Chinese culture.
- Author BiographyWendy Swartz is Assistant Professor of Chinese Literature at Columbia University.
- Author(s)Wendy Swartz
- PublisherHarvard University, Asia Center
- Date of Publication02/09/2008
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleHarvard East Asian Monographs
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University, Asia Center
- Content Note1 halftone
- Weight590 g
- Width159 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine28 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.