All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionReading, Writing, and Romanticism bridges a perceived gulf between materialist and idealist approaches to the reader. Informed by an historical awareness of Romantic hermeneutics and its later developments (as well as by an understanding of the circumstances conditioning the production and consumption of literature in this period), the book explores how readers are imagined, addressed, figured, and theorised in Romantic poetry and criticism (1790-1830). Models of can-formation, intertextuality and reader-response are examined alongside the existence of reading-coteries, the social practices of reading, and reforms in copyright. Consideration is given to the philosophical and ideological influences which bear upon the status of reading at this time, as well as to the educational theories and practices which underpin reading-habits. Non-canical writers are included, and special attention is given to the emergence of women's poetry - its repercussions for the poetics of reception.
- Author BiographyLucy Newlyn is Lecturer in English at St Edmund Hall, University of Oxford. Her publications include Paradise Lost and the Romantic Reader (OUP 1993), Coleridge, Wordsworth, and the Language of Allusion (OUP 1986), and Coleridge's Imagination: Essays in Memory of Peter Laver (CUP 1985).
- PrizesWinner of Rose Mary Crawshay Prize 2001.
- Author(s)Lucy Newlyn
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication03/04/2003
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Notebibliography, index
- Weight520 g
- Width137 mm
- Height217 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.43Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $119.81
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.24Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.