All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionReading in Asian Languages is rich with information about how literacy works in the non-alphabetic writing systems (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) used by hundreds of millions of people and refutes the common Western belief that such systems are hard to learn or to use. The contributors share a comprehensive view of reading as construction of meaning which they show is fully applicable to character-based reading. The book explains how and why non-alphabetic writing works well for its users; provides explanations for why it is no more difficult for children to learn than are alphabetic writing systems where they are used; and demonstrates in a number of ways that there is a single process of making sense of written language regardless of the orthography. Unique in its perspective and offering practical theory-based methodology for the teaching of literacy in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean to first and second language learners, it is a useful resource for teachers of increasingly popular courses in these languages in North America as well as for teachers and researchers in Asia. It will stimulate innovation in both research and instruction.
- Author BiographyKen Goodman is Professor Emeritus of the University of Arizona. Shaomei Wang is a lecturer in German, Russian and Asian Languages and Literature at Tufts University. Mieko Shimizu Iventosch teaches Japanese as a foreign language at Pima Community College and at the University of Arizona. Yetta Goodman is Regents Professor Emerita of the University of Arizona.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication12/01/2012
- SubjectLanguage Learning (other than ELT)
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note15 black & white tables
- Weight521 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byKenneth S. Goodman,Meiko Iventosch,Shaomei Wang,Yetta M. Goodman
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.