All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCan a song change a nation? In 1964, Marvin Gaye, record producer William Mickey Stevenson, and Motown songwriter Ivy Jo Hunter wrote Dancing in the Street. The song was recorded at Motown s Hitsville USA Studio by Martha and the Vandellas, with lead singer Martha Reeves arranging her own vocals. Released on July 31, the song was supposed to be an upbeat dance recording a precursor to disco, and a song about the joyousness of dance. But events overtook it, and the song became one of the icons of American pop culture. The Beatles had landed in the U.S. in early 1964. By the summer, the sixties were in full swing. The summer of 1964 was the Mississippi Freedom Summer, the Berkeley Free Speech Movement, the beginning of the Vietnam War, the passage of the Civil Rights Act, and the lead-up to a dramatic election. As the country grew more radicalized in those few months, Dancing in the Street gained currency as an activist anthem. The song took on new meanings, multiple meanings, for many different groups that were all changing as the country changed. Told by the writer who is legendary for finding the big story in unlikely places, Ready for a Brand New Beat chronicles that extraordinary summer of 1964 and showcases the momentous role that a simple song about dancing played in history.
- Author BiographyMark Kurlansky is the New York Times bestselling author of twenty-four books, including Cod, Salt, 1968: The Year That Rocked the World, The Big Oyster, The Last Fish Tale, The Food of a Younger Land, The Eastern Stars, and Edible Stories. He lives in New York City.
- Author(s)Mark Kurlansky
- PublisherPenguin Putnam Inc
- Date of Publication27/08/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectRegional History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2014
- ImprintHudson Street Press (an imprint of Penguin Group (USA) Inc)
- Content Noteblack & white plates
- Weight249 g
- Width127 mm
- Height196 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $50.62Trending at AU $53.30
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.97Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.04Trending at AU $45.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.