All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAlthough international development discourse considers the state as a crucial development actor, there remains a significant discrepancy between the official rms of the state and public services and the actual practices of political elites and civil servants. This text interrogates the variety of ways in which state policies and legal rms have been translated into the set of practical rms which make up real governance in sub-Saharan Africa. It argues that the concept of practical rms is an appropriate tool for an ethgraphic investigation of public bureaucracies, interactions between civil servants and users, and the daily functioning of the state in Africa. It demonstrates that practical rms are usually different from official rms, complementing, bypassing and even contradicting them. In addition, it explores the positive and negative effects of different aspects of this 'real governance'. This text will be of key interest to academics, students and researchers in the fields of development, political science, anthropology and development studies, African studies, international comparative studies, implementation studies, and public policy.
- Author BiographyTom De Herdt is Senior Lecturer in political and institutional aspects of development and Chair of the Institute of Development Policy and Management, University of Antwerp. Jean-Pierre Olivier de Sardan is Senior Researcher at LASDEL, Niamey, Niger, Professor of Anthropology at the Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales in Marseilles and Emeritus Director of Research at the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication08/05/2015
- SubjectGeography & Earth Science: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleRoutledge Studies in African Politics and International Relations
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note4 black & white illustrations, 2 black & white tables, 4 black & white line drawings
- Weight544 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byJean-Pierre Olivier de Sardan,Tom de Herdt
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.16New
- AU $64.84Used
- AU $78.59New
- AU $105.40New
- AU $75.53Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $45.70Trending at AU $72.17
- AU $21.27Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $19.59Trending at AU $32.54
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.10
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.31
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $87.71
- AU $10.36Trending at AU $18.84
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.