All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the years following the invention of photography in 1839, practitioners in France gave shape to this intriguing new medium through experimental printing techniques and invative compositions. The rich body of work they developed proved foundational to the establishment of early photography, from the introduction of the paper negative in the late 1840s to the proliferation of more-standardized equipment and photomechanical techlogy in the 1860s. The essays in this elegant volume investigate the early history of the medium when the ambiguities inherent in the photograph were ardently debated. Focusing on the French photographers who worked with paper negatives, especially the key figures E douard Baldus, Gustave Le Gray, Henri Le Secq, and Charles Ne gre, Real/Ideal explores photography's status as either (or both) fine art or industrial product, its repertoire of subject matter, its ideological functions, and even the ever- experimental photographic process itself. This book is published in conjunction with an exhibition of the same name on view at the J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center from August 30 through November 27, 2016.
- Author BiographyKAREN HELLMAN is assistant curator of photographs at the J. Paul Getty Museum, where SARAH FREEMAN is associate conservator of paper conservation. SYLVIE AUBENAS is the director of the department of photographs and prints at the Bibliothe que Nationale de France, Paris. ANNE DE MODENARD is curator at the Centre de Recherche et de Restauration des Muse es de France, Paris. PAUL-LOUIS ROUBERT is assistant professor at Universite Paris 8 and president of the Socie te franc aise de la photographie, Paris. KARLYN OLVIDO is a graduate student in the history of photography at the University of California, Riverside.
- Author(s)Karen Hellman
- PublisherGetty Trust Publications
- Date of Publication06/09/2016
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationLos Angeles
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGetty Publications
- Content Note212 Colour
- Weight1692 g
- Width248 mm
- Height296 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.43Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $119.81
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.