Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.90
About this product
- DescriptionCooperative demonstration work began in Texas in 1903 as an effort to teach farmers new methods of crop cultivation and management. However, black farmers in Texas were excluded from demonstration work until the Smith-Lever Agricultural Extension Act in 1914. By World War I, the resulting Negro Division included a complicated bureaucracy of African American agents who reported to white officials, were supervised by black administrators, and served black farmers. The measurable successes of these African American farmers exacerbated racial tensions and led to pressure on agents to maintain the racial status quo. In Reaping a Greater Harvest , Reid deftly spotlights further hierarchies of class and gender within the extension service. Her analysis clearly demonstrates how the same system that enabled the agents and the farmers they served to wield some political influence also kept them dependent on a racialized state that systematically discriminated against them and maintained the white-dominated southern landscape. Historians of race, gender, and class will join agricultural historians in valuing this careful examination of an understudied development in a corner of the Jim Crow South.
- Author BiographyDEBRA A. REID is associate professor of history at Eastern Illinois University in Charleston. Her Ph.D. is from Texas A&M University.
- Author(s)Debra A. Reid
- PublisherTexas A & M University Press
- Date of Publication15/03/2007
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleSam Rayburn Series on Rural Life, Sponsored by Texas A&M University-Commerce
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 14
- Place of PublicationCollege Station
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTexas A & M University Press
- Content Note35 b&w photos, 6 maps, 1 line art, 10 tables, bib, index
- Weight703 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edition Statementannotated edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.