All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the last column of a job application, there s that tricky question: reason for leaving? John Manderi has apparently had to puzzle over that one often and long. His answers are collected here in this hilarious vel-in-stories tracing the history of a guy trying to grow up job by job. Delivery boy, altar boy, busboy, teacher, cotton picker, umpire, Zen monk Manderi s protagonist tries on one hat after ather, from Chicago to Arizona to a South Dakota reservation where he longs to be given an Indian name, something like Many Roads, or Many Jobs. Each story in this highly entertaining collection is complete in itself, yet Manderi has woven them into a seamless history that s hard to put down. The author of Sam and His Brother Len and The Man Who Once Played Catch with Nellie Fox has once again given us a funny, moving portrait of a man s journey of becoming. Becoming what? The answer lies behind all his reasons for leaving. John Manderi has a sharp eye for human foibles and his depictions of life in the workaday world will leave readers laughing long and loud.
- Author BiographyJohn Manderino was born in Illinois and lives in Maine with his wife.
- Author(s)John Manderino
- PublisherAcademy Chicago Publishers
- Date of Publication30/05/2013
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAcademy Chicago Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight244 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.62
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.27
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.80
- AU $21.72Trending at AU $24.79
- AU $19.97Trending at AU $20.46
- AU $39.99Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $28.10Trending at AU $28.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.