All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $86.41
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.47
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $61.10
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.22
- AU $43.80Trending at AU $49.39
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.81
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.70
About this product
- DescriptionHailed by Annie Proulx in the New York Times as a gifted writer with an extraordinary feeling for the past, Robert J. Begiebing w completes his trilogy of American historical vels that also includes The Strange Death of Mistress Coffin and The Adventures of Allegra Fullerton. Daniel Sanborn, trained in the academies of London, arrives in colonial Portsmouth, New Hampshire to establish himself as a portraitist. His very first commission, however to paint the adopted daughter of a prominent local family will challenge his most cherished beliefs about art and life. Mysterious and solemn, twelve-year-old Rebecca Wentworth reveals herself to be an artistic prodigy of incandescent genius, and the victim of bizarre, disturbing visions. Her family, confused and frightened by the girl s uncanny talent and strange paintings, has decided to send her away for her own protection. Sanborn, however, becomes fascinated by Rebecca and her gifts. Confident, accomplished, and reassuringly conventional, Sanborn succeeds over time in establishing himself as painter to Portsmouth s elite. But even as he cultivates his position as artistic entrepreneur investing in land, furthering his business connections he also conspires with Rebecca s former governess to learn where the girl has been sent. Gradually yielding to his growing obsession, Sanborn tracks Rebecca to a frontier village in the interior of New Hampshire. His interference precipitates a family crisis concerning her ultimate fate, and Sanborn is made the agent for presenting Rebecca, w seventeen, with a stark and unappealing choice. The liberating potential of artistic expression clashes cruelly with social convention in a tale that masterfully evokes colonial New England.
- Author BiographyROBERT J. BEGIEBING is Professor of English and Director of Creative Writing at Southern New Hampshire University. He is the author of six books, including The Adventures of Allegra Fullerton and The Strange Death of Mistress Coffin.
- Author(s)Robert J. Begiebing
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication01/07/2003
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of New England
- Weight490 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine28 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.