All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhy do people rebel? This is one of the most important questions historians and social scientists have been grappling with over the years. It is a question to which satisfactory answer has been found, despite more than a century of research. However, in most cases the research has focused on what people do if they rebel but hardly ever, why they rebel. The essays in this volume offer an alternative perspective, based on the question at what point families decided to add collective action to their repertoires of survival strategies, In this way this volume opens up a promising new field of historical research: the intersection of labour and family history. The authors offer fascinating case studies in several countries spanning over four continents during the last two centuries. In an extensive introduction the relevant literature on households and collective action is discussed, and the volume is rounded off by a conclusion that provides methodological and theoretical suggestions for the further exploration of this new field in social history.
- Author BiographyJan Kok received his doctorate from the Free University of Amsterdam where he also taught history before moving to the International Institute of Social History where he combined studies in historical demography with work on a large database, the Historical Sample of the Netherlands. Since 1999 he has also been research director of the programme, Household and Labour, of the N.W. Posthumus Institute.
- PublisherBerghahn Books, Incorporated
- Date of Publication31/08/2000
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleInternational Studies in Social History
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 3
- Place of PublicationHerndon
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBerghahn Books, Incorporated
- Content Note3 maps, 2 figs
- Weight351 g
- Height230 mm
- Edited byJan Kok
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.99Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.