All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book has been some 15 years in the making and can claim, with some justification, to be the definitive publication on the 'Recces', unlikely to be topped for many, many years. The South African Special Forces have invariably been portrayed as a sinister force, used in covert operations locally and abroad, but this is pure political expediency and media propaganda. The unit's operators are shy, humble soldiers, whose primary role is intelligence-gathering, although they will take offensive action, ruthlessly, if necessary. Highly trained professionals in a class of their own, these elite troops have garnered for themselves an international reputation par excellence. With a foreword by the late Major-General F. W. Loots, this unique book also includes a comprehensive history of the Reconnaissance Regiments and auxiliary units; selection and training processes and techniques; insignia, kit and equipment; hours and awards; memorabilia, memorials and museums and also an amazing 2,500 full-colour images. About the Authors Paul Matthysen has been researching South African Special Forces since 1991, and lives in Johannesburg.Matthew Kalkwarf lives in Johannesburg and manages his own company. With a keen interest in the military, Michael Huxtable served two years' national service in the South African Defence Force Intelligence School during 1988/89. Mike lives and works in Johannesburg.
- Author BiographyMatthew Kalkwarf is a qualified instructor NCO at the Army Gymnasium, Matthew later served with 2 South West African Specialist Unit. He retained his interest in the military after completing his service. His extensive sales experience has equipped him well to assist in this project, where interpersonal skills are vital for research and interviews; his technical intelligence has also proved invaluable during this process. Matthew lives in Johannesburg and manages his own company. Michael Huxtable. With a keen interest in the military, Mike served two years' national service in the South African Defence Force Intelligence School during 1988/89. In 2003, he joined the SANDF Reserve Force, serving as Intelligence Officer and Adjutant at the Light Horse Regiment, being the first member of the SANDF Reserve to graduate from the SANDF Military Academy (Faculty of Military Science of Stellenbosch University) in 2007, with a B.Mil degree in Security and Africa Studies. His dream to publish books on South African military insignia came to fruition after meeting Paul Matthysen. Mike lives and works in Johannesburg. Paul Matthysen. Very early in life Paul developed a passion for all things military. He started collecting militaria in 1963, specialising in World War II German militaria, for which he has won several awards at displays. While in the employ of a well-known numismatist, he was consulted on uniforms and insignia by film companies and advertising agencies. Paul ended his military career in 1977 as an infantry platoon sergeant serving in 102 Counter-Insurgency Battalion on the border, for which he was awarded the Pro Patria Medal. Paul has been researching South African Special Forces since 1991. This current work on South African Special Forces will form part of a series dealing with the badges and insignia of South African military units. Paul lives in Johannesburg.
- Author(s)Matthew Kalkwarf,Michael Huxtable,Paul Matthysen
- Publisher30 Degrees South Publishers
- Date of Publication30/11/2010
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationWeltevreden Park
- Country of PublicationSouth Africa
- Imprint30 Degrees South Publishers
- Content Note2,500 colour images, maps
- Weight1447 g
- Width210 mm
- Height297 mm
- Spine26 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.