All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book approaches a variety of social and political issues that have become highly polarized and resistant to compromise by examining them through a population-based public health perspective. The topics included are some of the most contentious: abortion and reproductive rights; end-of-life issues, including the right to die and the treatment of pain; the connection between racism and poor health outcomes for African-Americans; the right of same-sex couples to marry; the toll of gun violence and how to reduce it; domestic violence and how the criminal justice model fails to deal with it effectively; and how tort compensation and punitive damages can further public health goals. People at every point along the political spectrum will find the book enlightening and informative. Written by eight authors, all of whom have cross-disciplinary expertise, this book shifts the focus away from the point of view of rights, politics, or morality and examines the effect of laws and policies from the perspective of public health and welfare.
- Author BiographyJohn G. Culhane is a Professor of Law and Director of the Health Law Institute at Widener University, School of Law. He is a lecturer at Yale University School of Public Health and a senior scholar at Thomas Jefferson University. He is the author of more than two dozen law review articles that have appeared in journals at Yale Law School, North Carolina School of Law, the University of Wisconsin School of Law, Fordham University School of Law, and William and Mary School of Law. Culhane is regularly featured in national and local broadcast and print media for his scholarship on a wide range of topics including public health issues, government responsibility, and compensation for victims of mass disasters. He blogs at wordinedgewise.org and writes a weekly column for 365gay.com.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication01/05/2014
- SubjectNational Law: Professional
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight370 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byJohn G. Culhane
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.