All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book presents new research results in English historical linguistics. Section I deals with sounds and spellings, e.g. the role of writing in language change, Pre-Old English sound changes and their reflection in runic inscriptions - plus the first complete list of OE runic inscriptions - and with velar fricatives in Middle English. Section II contains studies on words and phrases (e.g. the OE terms for the chain-mail coat), shell uns, and secondary agent constructions. Section III highlights the developments of because, relative clauses, impersonal and passive constructions. Section IV analyzes the role of dialects in literature (e.g. 16
th and 18 th centuries). Section V sheds light on the use of early literature by later authors (e.g. J.R.R. Tolkien) and on Chinese translations of Beowulf.
- Author BiographyHans Sauer is Professor Emeritus at Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich. His research interests include Medieval English texts, word-formation, lexicography, plant names, Beowulf, the history of linguistics and varieties of English. Gaby Waxenberger is Associate Professor at LMU Munich and is specialized in Old and Middle English, Old English Runology and varieties of English.
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication12/11/2013
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Series TitleStudies in English Medieval Language and Literature
- Series Part/Volume Number41
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- First Published2013
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight570 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edited byGaby Waxenberger,Hans Sauer
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Other
Save on Other
- AU $34.04Trending at AU $49.76
- AU $44.25Trending at AU $48.47
- AU $17.94Trending at AU $27.22
- AU $18.68Trending at AU $20.99
- AU $14.22Trending at AU $25.86
- AU $23.05Trending at AU $25.91
- AU $21.08Trending at AU $23.68
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.