All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $74.74
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.46
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.65
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.44
- AU $26.68Trending at AU $29.36
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.46
About this product
- DescriptionA celebrated warrior who led his people to victory on the battlefield, Red Cloud was also a skilled diplomat who transitioned the Oglala Sioux to reservation life. In Red Cloud: Oglala Legend, John D. McDermott examines Red Cloud's early years, his rise to prominence, and his struggle to protect his people from cultural domination. McDermott goes beyond Red Cloud's War to focus on the Oglala chief's time as a statesman. Chronicling the chief's diplomatic trips to the United States capital, the author examines the changes in Red Cloud's vision of armed resistance and his long-term strategy for maintaining Oglala life and culture. Through negotiation, passive resistance, and selective integration, Red Cloud worked to defend his people's interests in the face of change. As the only American Indian leader to win a war against the United States Army, Red Cloud is a larger-than-life figure in the history of the West. McDermott adds new layers to the story of the chief, illuminating his early youth and worldview through little-used sources. Red Cloud: Oglala Legend is the fourth book in the South Dakota Biography Series, which highlights some of the state's most famous residents.
- Author BiographyJohn D. McDermott is a research historian who has written numerous articles and books on western history, including Red Cloud's War: The Bozeman Trail, 1866-1868 (2011). He is a former historian for the National Park Service and policy director for the President's Advisory Council on Historic Preservation. Now residing in Rapid City, South Dakota, USA McDermott also co-founded the Frontier Heritage Alliance promoting cultural heritage tourism and historic preservation throughout the West.
- Author(s)John D. McDermott
- PublisherSouth Dakota State Historical Society
- Date of Publication30/11/2015
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Series TitleSouth Dakota Biography Series
- Series Part/Volume Number4
- Place of PublicationPierre
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSouth Dakota State Historical Society
- Content NoteBlack & white illustrations
- Weight525 g
- Width121 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine7 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.