All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDuring the 1980s, Liverpool Football Club dominated English football, winning six league titles, two European Cups, two FA Cups and four League Cups. In Red Machine, Simon Hughes interviews some of the most colourful characters to have played for the club during that period. The resulting interviews, set against the historical backdrop of both the club and the city, provide a vivid portrait of life at Liverpool during an era when the club's unparalleled on-pitch success often went hand in hand with a boozy social scene fraught with rows, fights and wind-ups. The players featured here include John Barnes, Bruce Grobbelaar, Howard Gayle, Michael Robinson, John Wark, Kevin Sheedy, Nigel Spackman, Steve Staunton, David Hodgson and Craig Johnston, as well as first-team coach Ronnie Moran. Their candid, ribald and sometimes scathing recollections provide an antidote to the media-coached, on-message interviews given by today's players and combine to offer a unique insight to this exciting time in the club's history.
- Author BiographySimon Hughes is a journalist and author. He writes for the Daily Telegraph, Sunday Telegraph and The Independent, as well as Liverpool Football Club's official magazine. Red Machine won the Antonio Ghirelli prize for Italian soccer foreign book of the year in 2014. His other titles include Secret Diary of a Liverpool Scout and The Torres Story. Simon's latest book, Men in White Suits: Liverpool in the 1990s, the Players' Stories is the inside story behind the decline of Liverpool FC, as told by a host of influential characters associated with the team during this tumultuous period in the club's history.
- PrizesWinner of Premio Antonio Ghirelli: Categoria Migliore Opera Straniera (Antonio Ghirelli Award: Best Foreign Language Book) 2014.
- Author(s)Simon Hughes
- PublisherMainstream Publishing
- Date of Publication14/08/2014
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMainstream Publishing
- Content Noteillustrations (black and white)
- Weight191 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $30.67Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.