Rediscovering Mordecai Gorelik: Scene Design and the American Theatre by Anne Fletcher (Paperback, 2009)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $75.43Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $64.94+ AU $24.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis title examines the life and achievements of a theater legend. Rediscovering Mordecai Gorelik explores the life and work of the pioneering scene designer whose career spanned decades in American theater. Anne Fletcher's insightful volume draws intriguing parallels and contrasts between Gorelik's productions and the theatrical movements of the twentieth century, exposing the indelible mark he left on the stage. Through in-depth analysis of his letters, diaries, designs, and theoretical works, Fletcher examines the ways in which Gorelik's productions can be used as a mirror to reflect the shifting dramatic landscapes of his times. Fletcher places Gorelik against the colorful historical backdrops that surrounded him - including the avant-garde movement of the 1920s, World War II, the Cold War, and absurdism - using the designer's career as a window into the theater during these eras. Within these cultural contexts, Gorelik sought to blaze his own unconventional path through the realms of theater and theory. Fletcher traces Gorelik's tenures with such companies as the Provincetown Players, the Theatre Guild, and the Theatre Union, as well as his relationships with icons such as Bertolt Brecht, revealing how his interactions with others influenced his progressive designs and thus set the stage for major dramatic invations. In particular, Fletcher explores Gorelik's use of scenic metaphor: the employment of stage design techniques to subtly enhance the tone or mood of a production. Fletcher also details the designer's written contributions to criticism and theory, including the influential volume New Theatres for Old , as well as other articles and publications. In addition to thorough examinations of several of Gorelik's most famous projects, Rediscovering Mordecai Gorelik contains explications of productions by such legends as John Howard Lawson, Clifford Odets, and Arthur Miller. Also included are numerous full-color and black-and-white illustrations of Gorelik's work, most of which have never been available to the public until w. More than simply a portrait of one man, this indispensable volume is a cultural history of American theater as seen through the career of a visionary designer and theoretician.
- Author BiographyAnne Fletcher is an associate professor of theatre at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. Her recent work has appeared in Brecht, Broadway and United States Theatre, and Interrogating America through Theatre and Performance.
- Author(s)Anne Fletcher
- PublisherSouthern Illinois University Press
- Date of Publication15/04/2009
- SubjectOther Performing Arts
- Series TitleTheater in the Americas
- Place of PublicationCarbondale
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSouthern Illinois University Press
- Content Note27 illustrations
- Weight431 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Series Edited byRobert A. Schanke
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $189.94New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.27New
- AU $93.07Used
- AU $93.07New
- AU $101.13New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.88New
- AU $61.04Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.72
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $90.24
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.18
- AU $39.10Trending at AU $50.07
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.44
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.