All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionThe first edition of Reel Diversity: A Teacher's Sourcebook won the 2009 Phillip C. Chinn Book Award of the National Association for Multicultural Education. This revised edition is an updated resource guide for educators in secondary and university classrooms who desire to integrate mainstream and independent films into their instructional content about diversity and social justice. The book has transformed difficult dialogues in classrooms around the country by helping educators identify full-length films and shorter film clips to enhance, energize, and motivate student learning. Accessible and practical for both vice and advanced educators, the book provides a lexicon of twenty-five definitions that teachers and learners should understand about difference, awareness, and power. Assignments, classroom activities, and lecture tes highlight these definitions in ways that deeply impact students' multicultural awareness, kwledge, and skills. Reel Diversity invites cross-cultural dialogue about films' mixed messages and how they enforce and reinforce cultural values. Students will emerge with a greater understanding of the educational value of this entertainment medium. The book is perfect for courses in mass media, film studies, American studies, mass communication, and media literacy.
- Author BiographyBrian C. Johnson serves as a faculty member in the Department of Academic Enrichment at Bloomsburg University and is Director of the Frederick Douglass Institute for Academic Excellence. He is a founder of the Pennsylvania Association of Liaisons and Officers of Multicultural Affairs, a consortium that promotes best practices for diversity in higher education. He earned both bachelor's and master's degrees in English from California University of Pennsylvania, and is currently in the final stages of the doctorate in communications media and instructional technology at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. His research focuses on social dominance orientation in mainstream film. He is a professional speaker with Kirkland Productions.
- Author(s)Brian C. Johnson,Sykra C. Blanchard
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication24/09/2015
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleCounterpoints
- Series Part/Volume Number348
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2008
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight410 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.