All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume analyses how the use of referendums affects the central functions and characteristics of representative democracy. It provides a balanced account of the interaction between referendums and representative institutions and actors, seeking to evaluate whether referendums supplement or undermine representative democracy. Considering both rmative and empirical questions, the volume also examines the particular circumstances under which referendums strengthen or weaken representative democracy. Providing a variety of theoretical and methodological approaches used in the study of referendums, this book is divided into three sections: Referendums and the Models of Democracy, The Demand of Referendums: Party Ideologies and Strategies, and Referendum Campaigns and Voter Behaviour. It features case studies on Ireland, Israel, Canada, California, Italy, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, the Nordic Countries, the Netherlands, Spain and the EU Constitutional Treaty. In addition to system-level evaluations of referendums, studies on the ideological attitudes of political actors and strategic use of referendums, the volume also provides analyses of referendum campaigns and voters' choices in referendums. Covering referendums on European integration, the volume also demonstrates how supra-national governance gives rise to the demand of referendums. This volume will be of interest to students and scholars of political science, political theory, comparative politics, and European studies.
- Author BiographyMaija Setala is an Academy Research Fellow at the University of Turku, Finland. She has studied democratic theory, referendums and deliberative democracy, and has published books and journal articles on these topics. Theo Schiller is Emeritus Professor of Political Science at Philipps University Marburg, Germany, and Head of the Centre of Citizen Participation and Direct Democracy. He published books and articles on direct democracy and German and European politics.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication10/04/2013
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Series TitleRoutledge/ECPR Studies in European Political Science
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note19 black & white illustrations, 32 black & white tables, 19 black & white line drawings
- Weight408 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byMaija Setala,Theo Schiller
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.44Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $21.95
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.67Trending at AU $41.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.