All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionClive Wilkinson's Reflections from the Monkey Deck is a personal account of freighter travel in the modern age. A patchwork of meteorology, mythology, geography, geology, religion and human interest, the narrative operates on many different levels and is so much more than just a book on travelling the world on container ships. It compels the reader to keep going as the text darts from historical insight, to geographical information, to mythology to commentary about the passengers and crew. Reflections from the Monkey Deck is t only a nautical journey but also one of self-reflection on the part of the author as he draws on past experiences from his own life and links them to places that the ship visits on its journey across the world. It is a fascinating read based on a wholly different perspective of that usually offered to the modern seafarer.
- Author BiographyClive Wilkinson trained as a religious studies teacher and began his teaching career in Surrey. A few years later he went to Rhodesia/Zimbabwe to teach at a mission school, immediately after Ian Smith's Unilateral Declaration of Independence and just as the 'bush war' was starting. Returning to the UK, he attended Newcastle University, where he took a degree in geography before returning to Africa to undertake research on human migration in Lesotho for his PhD. He spent nearly twenty years training geography teachers and environmental studies undergraduates in the UK. After retirement he undertook research on youth homelessness and young people not in employment, education or training, the results of which were published under the title 'The Drop Out Society'. He then worked for several years doing research on rural development in Northumberland. Now fully retired he enjoys walking, gardening, writing, playing table tennis, ceilidh dancing and, of course, travelling slowly.
- Author(s)Clive Wilkinson
- PublisherAustin Macauley Publishers
- Date of Publication30/10/2015
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAustin Macauley Publishers
- Weight340 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine51 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $203.71
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.34
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.83
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.84
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $80.93
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $69.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.