All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTravel with revered preacher and author Fred Craddock through his early years as he considers what made him take to the pulpit. For some reason, I felt I had to say 'Yes' or 'No' to the ministry so I could feel free again. My siblings and friends talked almost casually about options and preferences as to careers, but with evident sense of urgency. Not so with me. I did t then, r do I w kw whether the burden of choice was a trait of personality, a kind of super-conscientiousness, whether the calling to ministry itself carried a weight, a burden, peculiar to the task itself. Rightly or wrongly, when I thought of possibly becoming a journalist, that would be a choice, 100 percent mine. When I considered becoming a minister, that was t totally my decision; I was responding to God's will for me. Of course, I had been told that journalists, lawyers, teachers, merchants, farmers-all could understand their lives as a vocation, a calling, but what I am telling you is that I perceived, I felt, I experienced the idea of being a preacher as different, and that difference was sobering, even burdensome. That's why advice about t being in a hurry, taking my time, was t helpful even if wise. If it was my decision, why could I t make it w; if it was God's decision, why did t God tell me, or at least tell my father or my mother? I prayed for the ache to leave me. -Excerpt from Reflections on My Call to Preach.
- Author BiographyFred Craddock is Bandy Distinguished Professor of Preaching and New Testament, emeritus, at Candler School of Theology, Emory University, and is minister emeritus of Cherry Log Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). He is a sought-after lecturer, an author of several books, and a captivating storyteller.
- Author(s)Dr Fred Craddock
- PublisherChalice Press
- Date of Publication01/06/2009
- SubjectAutobiography: Religious & Spiritual
- Place of PublicationSaint Louis, MO
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintChalice Press
- Weight295 g
- Width145 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.10Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.80Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.