All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe most enduring work of its time, Reflections on the Revolution in France was written in 1790 and has remained in print ever since. Edmund Burke's analysis of revolutionary change established him as the chief framer of modern European conservative political thought. This outstanding new edition of the Reflections presents Burke's famous text along with a historical introduction by Frank M. Turner and four lively critical essays by leading scholars. The volume sets the Reflections in the context of Western political thought, highlights its ongoing relevance to contemporary debates, and provides abundant critical tes, a glossary, and a glossary-index to ensure its accessibility. Contributors to the book examine various provocative aspects of Burke's thought. Cor Cruise O'Brien explores Burke's hostility to theory, Darrin McMahon considers Burke's characterization of the French Enlightenment, Jack Rakove contrasts the views of Burke and American constitutional framers on the process of drawing up constitutions, and Alan Wolfe investigates Burke, the social sciences, and liberal democracy.
- Author BiographyFrank M. Turner is John Hay Whitney Professor of History, Yale University. Conor Cruise O'Brien is the author of The Great Melody: A Thematic Biography and Commented Anthology of Edmund Burke. Darrin M. McMahon is the author of Enemies of the Enlightenment: The French Counter-Enlightenment and the Making of Modernity. Jack N. Rakove of Stanford University was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for his book Original Meanings: Politics and Ideas in the Making of the Constitution. Alan Wolfe is director of the Boisi Center for Religion and American Public Life at Boston College and the author of Moral Freedom: The Search for Virtue in a World of Choice.
- Author(s)Edmund Burke
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication25/02/2004
- Series TitleRethinking the Western Tradition
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Noteglossary, index
- Weight204 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Volume editorFrank M. Turner
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.51Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.