All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs water scarcities increase, nations throughout the world are in search of better institutions to manage water resources. India has been making substantial efforts to develop its water management systems since independence and significant increases in irrigated agriculture have taken place through both public and private initiatives. However, scarcities are increasing and major problems presently confront the management of water resources and irrigated agriculture. Resolving these problems is crucial for the future. The main purpose of this book is to provide a new approach for the analysis and design of water institutions that govern the use and development of water resources, particularly for agriculture which is the largest user. Drawing on the theory of New Institutional Ecomics and comparisons with Australia (as a developed country) and other less developed nations in Africa and Asia, the authors present original empirical data from three Indian states. Detailed analysis of these data is used to identify and recommend attributes and features of water management institutions that are conducive to effective resource management, its long-term success, and its best contribution to development.
- Author BiographyLin Crase is Executive Director of the Albury-Wodonga Campus at La Trobe University, and has published widely on water policy. Vasant Gandhi is Professor at the Centre for Management in Agriculture at the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, and has published extensively on policies and institutions for food and agriculture.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication19/06/2009
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEarthscan Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps, line drawings, graphs, index
- Weight703 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Edited byLin Crase,Vasant P. Gandhi
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.