All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTwo unaccompanied children travel across the Mediterranean in an overcrowded boat that has been designed to only make it halfway across A 63-year-old man is woken one morning by border officers acting on a tip-off and, despite having paid taxes for 28 years, is suddenly cast into the detention system with obvious means of escape An orphan whose entire life has been spent in slavery first on a Ghanaian farm, then as a victim of trafficking writes to the Home Office for help, only to be rewarded with a jail sentence and indefinite detention These are t fictions. Nor are they testimonies from some distant, brutal past, but the frighteningly common experiences of Europe s new underclass its refugees. While those with citizenship enjoy basic human rights (like the right t to be detained without charge for more than 14 days), people seeking asylum can be suspended for years in Kafka-esque uncertainty. Here, poets and velists retell the stories of individuals who have direct experience of Britain s policy of indefinite immigration detention. Presenting their accounts anymously, as modern day counterparts to the pilgrims stories in Chaucer s Canterbury Tales, this book offers rare, intimate glimpses into otherwise untold suffering.
- Author BiographyDavid Herd is a poet, critic, and teacher. His collections of poetry include All Just (Carcanet 2012), Outwith (Bookthug 2012), and Through (Carcanet 2016), and his recent writings on the politics of human movement have appeared in Los Angeles Review of Books, Parallax and Almost Island. Anna PIncus, a founder and co-ordinator of Refugee Tales, has worked for Gatwick Detainees Welfare Group for ten years supporting people held in immigration detention. Authors in this anthology - Patience Agbabi, Jade Amoli-Jackson, Chris Cleave, Stephen Collis, Inua Ellams, Abdulrazak Gurnah, David Herd, Marina Lewycka, Avaes Mohammad, Hubert Moore, Ali Smith, Dragan Todorovic, Carol Watts & Michael Zand.
- Author(s)Abdulrazak Gurnah,Ali Smith,Chris Cleave,Dragan Todorovic,Inua Ellams,Jade Amoli-Jackson,Marina Lewycka,Michael Zand,Patience Agbabi,Stephen Collis
- PublisherComma Press
- Date of Publication16/06/2016
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Place of PublicationMytholmroyd
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintComma Press
- Weight136 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $26.95Trending at AU $30.41
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.62
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.80
- AU $14.99Trending at AU $19.01
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $59.41
- AU $21.78Trending at AU $24.79
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $20.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.