All listings for this product
Sponsored by eBay Stores
- AU $26.13Free postage
- AU $25.32Free postage
About this product
- DescriptionIf you listen to some politicians and voices in the media, you might well believe that asylum seekers are 'illegal'. You might think that they should wait their turn in the so-called 'queue'. You might think that they pose a potential threat to our national security, and that the government is right to keep them from our shores. Or you might take a humanitarian stance, believing that drastic border protection policies, though harsh in effect, are necessary to deter asylum seekers from endangering their lives on risky boat journeys to Australia. However logical these conclusions might seem, the problem is that they are based on widespread misunderstandings about why and how people seek asylum, and what Australia's international legal obligations are. This book rejects spin and panic to provide a straightforward and balanced account of Australia's asylum policies in light of international law. Written for a general audience, it explains who asylum seekers and refugees are, what the law is, and what policies like offshore processing, mandatory detention, and turning back boats mean in practice. Using real-life examples, this book reminds us of the human impact of Australia's policies. Shortlisted for the NSW Premier's Literary Awards Multicultural NSW (Community Relations Commission) Award.
- Author BiographyJane McAdam is Scientia Professor of Law and director of the Andrew & Renata Kaldor Centre for International Refugee Law at the University of New South Wales, Australia. She holds an Australian Research Council Future Fellowship, is a non-resident Senior Fellow at The Brookings Institution in Washington DC and a research associate at the University of Oxford's Refugee Studies Centre. She is joint editor-in-chief of the International Journal of Refugee Law. Fiona Chong is a recent law graduate of the University of New South Wales, Australia who, as research associate to Professor Jane McAdam, undertook research on international refugee law, complementary protection and climate change related displacement.
- Author(s)Fiona Chong,Jane McAdam
- PublisherNewSouth Publishing
- Date of Publication30/08/2014
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationSydney, NSW
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintNewSouth Publishing
- Weight249 g
- Width135 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $50.62Trending at AU $53.30
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.06Trending at AU $45.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.