All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWe think about it every day, sometimes every hour: Money. Who has it. Who doesn t. How you get it. How you don t. In Refund, Bender creates an award-winning collection of stories that deeply explore the ways in which money and the estimation of value affect the lives of her characters. The stories in Refund reflect our contemporary worldswindlers, reality show creators, desperate artists, siblings, parents who try to answer the question: What is the real definition of worth? In Theft, an eighty-year-old swindler, accustomed to tricking people for their money, boards a cruise ship to see if she can find something of true valuea human connection. In Anything for Money, the creator of a reality show is thrown into the real world when his estranged granddaughter reenters his life in need of a new heart; and in the title story, young artist parents in downtown Manhattan escape the attack on 9/11 only to face a battle over their subletted apartment with a stranger who might have lost more than only her deposit. Set in contemporary America, these stories herald a work of singular literary merit by an important writer at the height of her power.
- Author BiographyKaren E. Bender is the author of the novels Like Normal People and A Town of Empty Rooms. Her fiction has appeared in The New Yorker, Granta, Zoetrope, Ploughshares, Story, Harvard Review, The Iowa Review, and other magazines. Her stories have been anthologized in Best American Short Stories, Best American Mystery Stories, New Stories from the South: The Year's Best, and have won two Pushcart prizes. She has won grants from the Rona Jaffe Foundation and the NEA. She is also co-editor of the anthology Choice: True Stories of Birth, Contraception, Infertility, Adoption, Single Parenthood, and Abortion. She has taught creative writing at Antioch University Los Angeles, the University of North Carolina at Wilmington, and Tunghai University in Taiwan. She lives in North Carolina with her husband, novelist Robert Anthony Siegel, and their two children.
- Author(s)Karen Bender
- PublisherCounterpoint LLC
- Date of Publication13/01/2015
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCounterpoint LLC
- Weight417 g
- Width145 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $12.84Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.08
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $21.78Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $34.27Trending at AU $40.32
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.