All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhile it is a truism that emerging techlogies present both opportunities for and challenges to their host communities, the legal community has only recently begun to consider their significance. On the one hand, emerging information, bio, na, and neurotechlogies challenge policy-makers who aspire to put in place a regulatory environment that is legitimate, effective, and sustainable; on the other hand, these same techlogies offer new opportunities as potentially powerful regulatory instruments. In this unique volume, a team of leading international scholars address many of the key difficulties surrounding the regulation of emerging techlogical targets as well as the implications of adopting techlogy as a regulatory tool. How should we rise to the challenge of regulating techlogies? How are the regulatory lines to be drawn in the right places and how is the public to be properly engaged? How is precaution to be accommodated, and how can the law keep pace with techlogies that develop ahead of the regulatory environment? How readily should we avail ourselves of the opportunity to use techlogy as a regulative strategy? How are we to understand these strategies and the challenges which they raise? To what extent do they give rise to similar policy problems accompanying more 'traditional' regulatory instruments or generate distinctive challenges? While the criminal justice system increasingly relies on techlogical assistance and the development of a 'surveillance society', is a regulatory regime that rules by techlogy compatible with rule of law values?
- Author BiographyRoger Brownsword and Karen Yeung are both Professors of Law at King's College, London.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication03/10/2008
- SubjectNational Law: Professional
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2008
- ImprintHart Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white line drawings, figures
- Weight600 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byKaren Yeung,Professor Roger Brownsword
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $33.36
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $53.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.