All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRelativism about kwledge or truth has always provoked the ire of philosophers. Ever since Protagoras declared in antiquity that 'man is the measure of all things', relativism has been repeatedly attacked. Recently, however, Alasdair MacIntyre has observed that 'relativism...is one of those doctrines that have by w been refuted a number of times too often'. Along with MacIntyre, Hilary Putnam and Richard Rorty have also argued that while relativism may be problematic, there are valuable insights in it that philosophers need to take tice of. This book sorts out exactly what those relativistic insights are, and where they are to be found within the works of these three leading late-twentieth-century philosophers. Timothy Mosteller begins with a review of the major traditional definitions of relativism and the classical arguments against it. He then examines twentieth-century accounts and defences of relativism and points out that each account faces problems similar to those of the traditional versions. The continues with substantial treatments of the views of macIntyre, Putnam and Rorty on relativism, with each thinker robustly engaging the opinions of the others.Mosteller concludes the book by developing an alternative approach to relativismabout kwledge, which recognizes that while there may be single 'global' criterion for all kwledge claims, there can be 'local' standards for settling particular disputes in such a way as to avoid the traditional hazards of relativism. Timothy M. Mosteller (Ph.D University of Miami) teaches philosophy at the University of San Diego, California.
- Author BiographyTimothy M. Mosteller (Ph.D. University of Miami) teaches philosophy at Biola University, La Mirada, CA.
- Author(s)Timothy Mosteller
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication15/06/2006
- Series TitleContinuum Studies in American Philosophy
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight463 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.75
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $38.99
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $33.32
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.