All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIs this the right book for me? Relax and Unwind with Yoga is designed to help you reap the full benefits of yoga for practical and emotional wellbeing by following a daily routine that doesn't require a huge amount of commitment. Ideal for the beginner with previous experience, it outlines all the basic/key exercises (asanas) you will need in addition to giving you information on how, where and when to practice them. There is plenty of insight into the philosophical background of yoga and helpful tips on diet and lifestyle. Supporting materials, including a practice diary, will allow you to record your progress, while a list of teachers and sources for taking it further will be useful to all those who wish to deepen their practice. Relax and Unwind with Yoga includes: Chapter 1: Introduction The philosophy and goals of yoga The main paths of yoga - which one is for you? Hatha yoga: ancient techniques for a modern lifestyle Benefits of hatha yoga Chapter 2: Starting your practice Starting your practice When and how often Where and with whom Who can practise yoga What you will need Safety measures Chapter 3: The exercises - asanas Warming up Standing and balancing: connect fully with your body Sitting and forward bending: focusing within Back bends: opening up to the world Twists: wringing out negativity Inverted poses: attain a new vision of life Relaxation techniques: winding down Chapter 4: Pranayama - working with breath Why do pranayama? Styles of breathing Kapalabhati: purifying the mind and body Nasal cleansing exercises to enhance your breathing exercises Chapter 5: Yoga lifestyles Moderation in all things Keeping your life in balance Yamas - your relationship with the world Niyamas - your relationship with yourself The yogic diet Chapter 6: Meditation - retraining your mind to let go What is meditation? Why meditate? The practicalities How to sit Using your breath Focusing on sound Chakras - bringing your awareness to your higher energy centers Tratak - candle gazing Learn effortlessly with a new easy-to-read page design and added features: Not got much time? One, five and ten-minute introductions to key principles to get you started. Author insights Lots of instant help with common problems and quick tips for success, based on the authors' many years of experience. Test yourself Tests in the book and online to keep track of your progress. Extend your kwledge Extra online articles to give you a richer understanding of Yoga. Five things to remember Quick refreshers to help you remember the key facts. Try this Invative exercises illustrate what you've learnt and how to use it.
- Author BiographySwami Saradananda has been teaching yoga and offering spiritual/physical leadership for many years, and has run workshops, courses and tours worldwide. She is also a former editor of Yoga Life and an author with wide experience of writing for the general market.
- Author(s)Swami Saradananda
- PublisherHodder & Stoughton General Division
- Date of Publication30/07/2010
- SubjectFitness & Diet
- Series TitleTeach Yourself - General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintTeach Yourself Books
- Content Note100 b-and-w drawings
- Weight188 g
- Width130 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.