All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn commemoration of Constantine's grant of freedom of religion to Christians, this wide-ranging volume examines the ambiguous legacy of this emperor in relation to the present world, discussing the perennial challenges of relations between religions and governments. The authors examine the new global ecumenical movement inspired by Pentecostals, the role of religion in the Irish Easter rebellion against the British, and the relation between religious freedom and government in the United States. Other essays debate the relation of Islam to the violence in Nigeria, the place of the family in church-state relations in the Philippines, the role of confessional identity in the political struggles in the Balkans, and the construction of Slavophile identity in nineteenth-century Russian Orthodox political theology. The volume also investigates the contrast between written constitutions and actual practice in the relations between governments and religions in Australia, Indonesia, and Egypt. The case studies and surveys illuminate both specific contexts and also widespread currents in religion-state relations across the world.
- Author BiographyLeo D. Lefebure is Matteo Ricci, S.J., Professor of Theology at Georgetown University, USA. He is the author of True and Holy: Christian Scripture and Other Religions and the co-author of The Path of Wisdom: A Christian Commentary on the Dhamma.
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication27/07/2016
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Series TitlePathways for Ecumenical and Interreligious Dialogue
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notebiography
- Weight488 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byLeo D. Lefebure
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.